Friday, August 26, 2011

We're going to make a difference.


Gay marriage, marriage equality, rights of homosexuals, blah blah blah. Yeh, you’ve heard me rant on this topic so much here at St. Murphy. It’s probably the subject I am most passionate about in the world.

Well last night I finally did something about it. After boring everyone with my grandstanding, debating and arguing I’ve finally backed this rhetoric up with some action. I think I’ve officially become an activist. I’ve joined up with Community Action Against Homophobia.

CAAH are the organisers of the Gay Marriage rallies in Sydney. I reached out to them after the last rally, along with some fantastic friends of mine, and offered up our services. See, we are all a bunch of PR/publicity/marketing peeps who felt we could really give some support to the next important rally on Dec 3. And CAAH have welcomed us.

I feel like I have purpose now.

I can’t believe it has actually taken me so many years to get involved with a group like this. I’ve been a very slack hummer-sexual. Have been very happy to reap all the benefits of the gay lifestyle without actually giving anything back to the community. I’m what you would call a very selfish gayer.

But now I’m unbelievably excited to be a part of something that could bring about great change. I met with the CAAH guys last night to see what PR stuff we could do for them. We came up with some great ideas that you’ll hear about shortly. More importantly it was absolutely brilliant to meet people who are so smart, and committed, and passionate about this cause. It was inspiring.

December 3. Mark it in your diaries now. December 3 there is a march from Hyde Park to Darling Harbour. The march is aimed at having an impact on the Gay Marriage debate at the National Labor Party Conference. It’s also a great show of solidarity and community support for marriage equality. I’ll be working with CAAH, along with my activist buddies ShaunHeron, TheFlack and Arrjaydub, to spread the word and raise the profile of the event. We are gonna help get feet on the streets.

You’ve been warned! I expect fabulous support from all my friends at St. Murphy.

I’ve had quite a few twitter and blogging friends offer up support and assistance too. Will be calling on you guys soon. I hope as many of you Sydney-siders as possible join us on the day. We want to have as broad a cross-section of society as possible represented at the march. Everyone has a gay friend, a gay family member or a gay workmate who is discriminated against by not having the same choices available to them as heterosexuals.

That’s what I see as central to this issue. I do not have the same choices available to me as the majority of the population. The law does not recognise my relationships the same way it does heterosexual. The messages this sends my community is that our love is different and not as worthy. I am here to tell you it is. The law must change. I hope I can count on your support. It would mean so much.

Together we can make a difference.

Thank you so much CAAH for giving me the chance to work with you.


1 comment:

Brianna said...

Appreciate thiss blog post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...